Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Things I Should Have Learned By Now

On this journey to become a (someday full-time) writer, I've learned a few things.

And I've worked really hard to be a learner. Lemme tell ya!

I've pretty much given up TV all together (though things will be changing when Heroes comes back).
I no longer listen to NPR or music while driving or doing mindless chores and only listen to podcasts on writing.
I force myself to read a non-fiction book after every fiction book, so I can keep on learning.

I'm feeling pretty dedicated here.

But, I'm learning that there is a BIG difference between KNOWING better and DOING better. 

So, here's some things that I've learned that I should do, but have yet to actually do to become a better-selling writer.

#1: Write Consistently

I struggle with this so much.
And the guilt, the GUILT! that I feel for not writing consistently nags at me.
To whom do I owe this feeling of guilt? I have no idea. It's not like I have an editor tapping impatient fingers on the table while I type away on my laptop.

I have tried SO MANY times to make a schedule for writing on a regular basis. Alas, I am the Queen of INconsistency it seems. I know this will make me a better writer, and a better selling writer (after all, the more books I have out there, the more books there are for readers to purchse), but it's still something I struggle with fitting into my very busy schedule of day job, kids, dinner, sports, and bedtime. But, I need to commit to writing on a regular basis if I'm going to reach my goals.

#2: Diversify

Self-published authors know that though Amazon is the biggest game in town, it's not the only game in town. In fact, being published on multiple platforms like Kobo, Apple iBooks, Smashwords, and other online book retailers that host self-published authors will only help increase sales.

Why haven't I done it yet? The time factor again. Seriously, I have issues with time management. If I have any spare time, I always feel like I should be spending it writing.

(Hence, the reason why this blog is often neglected for long periods of time. Because, let's face it, if I'm blogging here and chatting with you, I'm not working on my next book. And I really need to spend some time working on my next book.)

#3:  Connect With Readers

I try, I really do try. I promise. I'm just not very good at small talk. I know having a strong online presence, especially utilizing social media, is a helpful step in building relationships with readers. But, I suck at it.

I use Facebook mainly to keep up with friends and family, and haven't yet made an author page there. (Part of me is scared that if I do, no one will join! Boo-hoo, poor little me on my author page all alone.)

And with Twitter, I feel like I'm poking around in the dark. I'm never sure if what I'm sending out is being seen, or has relevance for anyone else.

And let's not get started on my mailing list. My poor, dusty, neglected mailing list. On one hand, I don't want to bother people with emails when I don't have anything much to say, but on the other hand, I don't want to send out an email when my next book comes out and have people go, "Who is this lady? Did I really sign up for this?"  Finding balance seems like the key here.

Okay, so now I have some things to strive for. I've learned these important lessons. Now it's time to implement them.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, schedules for writing don't work in my world so well either. I hear ya! I think the connecting with readers thing is going to look different for everyone. I tend to connect with the most people through my blog, one reader at a time. It's slower than twitter and facebook and goodreads, but it's what I can keep up with.

    You'll figure out what works best for you!

    ReplyDelete