Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Goals for 2015

If you're like me, (and why wouldn't you be - I'm fabulous!) you can't help but make resolutions, promises, or at least goals, for the upcoming new year.

I've heard some negativity from friends and family about this.
Why make resolutions - I never keep them. That sort of thing.

Blech. That's stinkin' thinkin'. That's what I think, anyway.

I LOVE goals.
The new year is a great time to make some new goals.
Fresh year.
Fresh start.
Fresh attitude.

We can totally DO THIS!

I have my annual health/weight goals, like most people do. And I will even be so bold as to make SMART goals for myself.

I also have goals for my writing career, and they shall be SMART as well.

Here they are:

S (specific): I will e-publish a new novella (between 20,000 - 40,000 words), approximately every month, totaling 8 more published novellas in 2015.  I will also bind the first 4 novellas into a book bundle, and include a bonus story as well. I'll continue this model with the final 4 novellas in a book bundle.

I will write the second novel of The Mind Renders Series. After the second novel has been written, revised, and edited, I will publish the first two books, and begin writing the third novel.

M (Measurable) 10 novellas (plus 2); 2 novels

A (Achievable) A 25,000 word novella can be written in 2 weeks if I write 1786 words per day. If I have an extensive outline, I can write over 2000 words in an hour.

An 80,000 word novel can be written in 40 days if I commit to writing 2000 words per day.

R (Relevant) The highest indicator of an indie publisher's success is by being a prolific writer with a large backlist of books. The more books a writer has available, the more chance of success she has.

T (Timely) I have 12 months to write 8 more novellas, and the second novel in the Mind Renderers Series.

January: Write novella #3. Revise. Publish.
February: Write novella #4. Revise. Publish.
March: Write novella #5. Revise. Publish box set including the first 5 stories.
April: Begin writing Mind Renders Book 2.
May: Writing Mind Renderers Book 2.
June: Revising/Editing/Publishing Mind Renderers Book 1 & 2. Publish.
July: Write novella #6. Publish.
August: Write novella #7. Publish.
September: Write novella #8. Publish.
October: Write novella #9. Publish.
November: Write novella #10. Publish box set including second set of 5 stories.
December: Begin writing Mind Renderers Book 3. Aim to publish in March 2016.

That's a lot of writing! Around 240,000 words next year. I have to believe I can do it, though. I want so much to be successful at being a writing. I would love, love, LOVE, to be writing full-time, using my writing money to pay off bills and to take care of my family. I know that writing a lot, and publishing a lot is the beginning to making that happen.

So, here's to my goals and yours!
We CAN do this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment