Friday, August 15, 2014

A FREE Education

I'm all about learning.

What can I say, I'm a teacher. Go, learning!!

I'm even MORE excited about learning something for free. If you're not into learning, that's okay, I guess. But, I think if you're a writer, you have to always be working on becoming a better writer, and part of that happens by learning from experts.

Never before in the history of...history...has it been as easy to learn something as it is now. Most of what you want to know is just a clever Google keyword away.

I wanted to know why I get dizzy riding roller coasters as an adult, when I could ride them over and over as a kid without getting the least bit nauseous.

I wanted to know how different types of cheeses are made.

I wanted to learn how to pick the lock on my bathroom door after the two-year-old munchkin locked it.

All of these things I learned through a quick internet search.

If you want to be a better writer (heck, a better anything), I think it would behoove you to find someone who is doing what you want to be doing and learn how it is that they do it. There are tons of blogs out there (like mine!) by writers, editors, agents who give advice about writing. If you haven't already, you should check them out.

Personally, I'm an auditory learner. My choice method of learning is by listening to Podcasts. I'm a Podcast junkie. Whenever I'm in the car, I get a podcast going. Folding laundry? Podcast time! Doing the dishes? Podcast!  I can't get enough of them. Sometimes, I even create chores for myself just so I can score a little more time to listen to a Podcast.

Here are a few that I'm listening to right now, and that I highly recommend:

Writing Excuses - This podcast is hosted by a team of four published authors, and is chock full of good information.

I Should Be Writing - This podcast, hosted by Mur Lafferty, is good inspiration for wannabe writers (like me!)

Packing Heat: Erotica Writing Tips and Techniques - Don't let the title throw you! Most of what the host has done is applicable to all genres of writing. Occasionally there will be talk that relates to erotica, but for the most part, it's about writing in general. (This podcast is no longer updated, but is still available for download.)

This is just a quick handful of the podcasts that I love to listen to.
Do you have a favorite writing podcast? I'd love to know what it is! Please share in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment